Thursday, June 7, 2018

Being the tourist

It’s Todd again with the second of three installments on my India trip.  I arrived in India early on a Saturday morning.  I also was free the subsequent weekend before I left.  Which means despite my busyness, I had some free days to explore and play.  So how'd that go?  This will be the most photo-heavy post.  If you like photos, grab a cup of tea.  Put milk in it like the Indians do if you can, I couldn't get used to that myself.

20180428-2018-04-28 13.40.38_blog

…they call it the Garden City

The best way to beat the jetlag is to stay awake until the first nighttime.  After getting settled I asked the driver to take me shopping, to a street market or whatever.  After some stops at a carpet shop and non-descript mini-mall, he dropped me off at a market off Mahatma Gandhi (MG) road.  That was a real Indian street market!  I didn't buy anything though, I mostly just walked and tried not to get run over.  As with car traffic, the traffic in these commerce alleyways was super chaotic.  There were holes in the sidewalk to watch out for.  There were people walking every which way.  There were carts selling food.  There were motorcycles honking and driving through us.  Like I said, I mostly tried to not get injured and just took it in.

20180421-2018-04-21 18.19.45_blog

…that is a legit clothing store btw

After I was done with that my driver took me to a mall for dinner.  I ate, er, "Mexican food."  Yeah, not really.  But it was late and I was very hungry so it was good.  On the way out I ran into a bunch of students putting on a dance performance.  That was some great spontaneous fun.  And that's what I did the first weekend.  I spent Sunday relaxing and getting ready for work.

20180421-2018-04-21 20.23.25_blog

The following Saturday I explored Bengaluru.  First stop was the Iskcon temple.  Are you familiar with Hare Krishnas?  That is the same people.  This religion is very repetitive.  Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hara Hare, Hare Rama...  Etc.  There was a band practicing and their songs basically said that, again and again.  I must have heard the mantra 200x in my time there.

The first thing that happened was I had to give up my shoes.  Storage was Rs2 but the smallest bill I had was 10.  They said get change and come back.  A couple of times on the concrete my feet were so hot I was afraid I had burned them.  Thankfully I didn't.  When I picked up my shoes there was another guy getting his.  So I stood behind an American.  That was a mistake.  Another guy charged passed me and waved his ticket to get his shoes.  Haha, lining up and waiting your turn is not really a thing here.

20180428-2018-04-28 11.18.34_blog

…barefoot and learning what to expect at the temple

Back to the tour.  It cost about Rs300 which is a bit under $5.  It was nice in that I had a special path for tourists to follow which was marked by signs.  And I got an itinerary up front so I knew I'd be putting my hands on the flowers for a blessing, eating the special food, and so on.  The local pilgrims were in their own line where they waited for a chance to prostrate themselves before idols and go into a cathedral area to chant together and so forth.  I wasn't allowed to take photos most of the indoor areas unfortunately.  In a way the icons and buildings were reminiscent of Catholics.  There was art on the ceilings, statues and paintings of famous people on the walls, and lots of ornate architecture.  Having more experience on the Protestant side of things that's what it reminded me of.  I'm sure Catholics would find it quite foreign though.

20180428-2018-04-28 11.27.37_blog

A couple of other themes jumped out at me.  This group likes to proselytize.  I got a couple of pitches during my tour.  Second, because I was on a tourist path I was hit up frequently for both donations and commerce opportunities.  At first I thought, huh, I guess there isn't a separation of commerce and spirituality here.  But later I learned my experience was colored by the fact that I went to temples that were half theme park.  The smaller ones are different.

20180428-2018-04-28 11.28.32_blog

At one of the charity pitches I experienced a now-familiar Indian sales tactic.  No matter how much I offer to donate or ask to buy, the seller immediately asks for double.  If I order naan at a restaurant, the waiter asks "two orders of naan?"  At the lunches for kids station I offered RS500.  He immediately said, 1000?  But I was ready for it and stuck with 500.  After all, several 100s had already gone to other priests and so forth on this day.  I had to keep a lid on my cash to some extent!

20180428-2018-04-28 12.00.30_blog

…I enjoyed the promo for the kid’s TV series about young Krishna

Towards the end I had the special foods.  And walked through endless tables selling junk.  And it was junk.  Mostly plastic things you'd find at a $1 store.  There was a lot of food too.  I didn't buy any but later lamented I didn't eat any samosas in India.  I should have gotten one here.

20180428-2018-04-28 12.13.12_blog

…enjoying the special soup

After a quick stop for lunch we went on to the Bangalore (aka Bengaluru) Palace.  The seat of power for the state of Karnataka has vacillated between this castle and the one in Mysuru (which I'd visit tomorrow) over the last several hundred years.  BTW, since independence in the 40s, power now resides in the parliament building in Bengaluru.

The palace stories reminded me of the British royals.  They don’t have power or taxes.  So they have to make do with their amassed fortune.  Which is a lot less here.  They always have to rent out space for cash.  In fact a wedding was being held there that very night.  Also because the palace was designed by a British guy.

20180428-2018-04-28 14.01.30_blog

20180428-2018-04-28 14.25.51_blog

20180428-2018-04-28 14.49.02_blog

The tour was 300 if you want to take photos.  Lol, they are always out to get ya.  The guide was fun though.  The palace was designed by a brit and looks like it.  Except for all the Indian craziness on the walls.  The 7 armed lady or the elephant head god, etc.  I learned the last male heir died a couple years back.  He was head of the cricket league.  His wife has since moved over to Mysore.  I am not clear if the era of royals is dead in Karnataka.

20180428-2018-04-28 14.20.43_blog

20180428-2018-04-28 14.35.43_blog

…I paid money to take these goofy photos

The next day I got up early for the drive to Mysuru.  It's about 3.5 hours one way.  As I mentioned this is the other site that has historically been the local seat of power.  So my experiences today were a lot like yesterday...a temple and a palace.  These were much grander but at the same time I had better tours yesterday.

The temple at Mysuru is the second most popular tourist destination in all of India behind the Taj.  A fact that was driven home to me when we were stuck in huge traffic lines to get in.  Eventually I got out and walked the rest of the way... and wondered how I'd ever find my driver afterwards.  Luckily when I was ready to leave the roads had cleared out and I found him pretty easily.

20180429-2018-04-29 11.09.51_blog

At the entrance was a statue of a pirate-looking guy about to behead a cobra.  I never did learn who he was.  I walked around and took photos and soon a guy started talking to me.  He wanted me to see the smaller, older temple to Vishnu which was behind the bigger famous temple with humongous lines.  I figured I’d be out a couple hundred but it would be worth someone telling me stories.

20180429-2018-04-29 11.07.24_blog

He was a talker but the stories were disjointed.  We cracked open coconuts, waved our hands over a fire, sat overlooking a valley eating fruit, and of course give a couple priests some cash.  I couldn't say what the significance of these actions were.  Other than donating cash.  That's universal, lol.  My driver had warned me that people would try and snooker me out of money.  So I kept the flow to a reasonable amount.

20180429-2018-04-29 11.18.16_blog

20180429-2018-04-29 11.28.24_blog

…cracking the coconut

But he didn't warn me about the monkeys.

As I was leaving I saw a couple of the cute little guys.  Then one of them veered right for me and started making intimidating gestures.  I swung my plastic bag at him to shoo him away.  But he snatched it from my hands.  Then he ignored me while he took the banana out and started eating it.  I had forgotten there was a banana in there.  So add to my tourist experiences being assaulted by a primate.

20180429-2018-04-29 11.39.13-1_blog

20180429-2018-04-29 11.47.22_blog

…saw this one too late

On the way out we stopped to take a couple photos of a large stone cow.  Of course I got pressured into another 100 for some flowers to gift to the cow.  At this point I was glad to be done with temple tourism.  I had kept a gate on the funds going out but the requests are relentless.

20180429-2018-04-29 12.26.31_blog

After lunch at a local joint we headed over to the palace.  This was a gorgeous and grand building.  But I had no guidance this time and so was reduced to walking around and taking a few photos.  There was an opportunity to go inside.  But I would have had to turn in my shoes and walk on the pavement quite a distance to get in the long line in order to enter.  It was 97 degrees and I was pretty sure I'd burn my feet if I walked this path.  So I stuck to the shade and skipped the inside.

20180429-2018-04-29 14.21.06_blog20180429-2018-04-29 14.20.20_blog

20180429-2018-04-29 14.28.58_blog

Once I was done it was just 4 hours to drive home.

A couple of days later I got a chance to go to a cricket match.  It's something I was excited to do once I learned it was in season during my visit.  A couple of guys at the office said they'd like to go too. I knew it was in part politeness on their part.  I was alarmed though, when I found out tickets were about $125.  I didn't want them to spend that kind of money to be polite.  Luckily, their office paid for all of us.

Our seats were quite great.  Rain was not a threat this day but the seats were covered.  Behind us was an indoor area which had a/c and was where the food and drink would be.  The first song I heard at the stadium was "Don't Stop Believing" for some reason.

20180501-2018-05-01 18.20.57_blog

Strangely food and drink were not available until 8pm which was gametime.  That's not the smartest planning.  And they were strict about it.  At 7:55, I still could not get a coke.  The food actually arrived about 10 minutes early.  It was chicken, potatoes, and fried baby corns.  I ate a plate and decided to wait a little while since I was pretty full.  Soon I learned I had filled up on appetizers (or starters as the locals say).

I arrived at the stadium with Ashwin.  Akash and Akshay came about 20 mins later with painted faces and jerseys.  We missed out on those until later.  It cracked me up that a sponsor on the jersey is "Eros Now."  Which is a legitimate video streaming service.  Seriously!

20180501-2018-05-01 18.22.43_blog

20180501-2018-05-01 18.55.25_blog

I had studied up on cricket rules.  I won't try and summarize, it's vaguely like baseball but not really.  On this night Bangalore was on offense first.  They were very streaky but ended up with 167 runs.  Then it was Mumbai's turn.  The rest of the match was a countdown.  Could Mumbai score more than 167 in their half?  They were much more consistent but less explosive.  It became clear about halfway through their 1 here and 1 there was not going to cut it.  Bangalore won by about 15 runs and in truth it wasn't even that close.

20180501-2018-05-01 23.35.18_blog

…I will translate. It says “victory is at hand”

It was about 5.5km to the hotel and this is the only time I rode in a rickshaw cab instead of with my driver.  We paid the crazy high price of Rs350 for that ride.  But most drivers refused us outright or asked for 600.  They were hoping for customers going farther than us.  I was glad to have Ashwin with me to negotiate all this.

Check back soon for my last batch of stories on food and culture.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! I love to hear from you!

[feedly mini]